About this Course
For the course syllabus, student forms, and policies, please refer to Student Resources on the TLC website.
- 5.RW.1 Identify the meaning of words using context clues.
- 5.RW.2 Identify and produce counterarguments and refutations in simple essays.
- 5.RW.3 Identify strong and weak arguments.
- 5.RW.4 Produce paraphrases of short passages using basic citation.
- 5.RW.5 Produce a 5-paragraph opinion essay with a logical counterargument and refutation, a variety of compound and complex sentences, and transition words.
- 5.LS.1 Identify and paraphrase specific details in oral arguments.
- 5.LS.2 Summarize short speeches or presentations.
- 5.LS.3 Deliver a planned oral presentation on class topics with visuals.
- 5.LS.4 Deliver an impromptu presentation on class topics.
- 5.G.1 Produce affirmative and negative statements and questions with present perfect and present perfect progressive verbs.
- 5.G.2 Produce sentences with comparative and superlative adjectives and adverbs.
- 5.G.3 Produce adverb clauses of cause, contrast, and time.
- 5.G.4 Identify passive voice (simple past, simple present, and simple future verbs)
- 6.RW.1 Identify and employ methods used for avoiding plagiarism.
- 6.RW.2 Produce compound sentences with various conjunctions in pieces of writing.
- 6.RW.3 Produce proper citations and a Works Cited/ References page in MLA and/or APA style.
- 6.RW.4 Produce a 4-5 paragraph timed writing.
- 6.RW.5 Produce a 1‐2-page piece of academic writing using outside sources and proper citation.
- 6.LS.1 Produce verbal summaries of video and audio samples used in class.
- 6.LS.2 Identify supporting details in video and audio samples.
- 6.LS.3 Deliver a planned presentation on class topics with visuals and at least one source.
- 6.LS.4 Deliver an impromptu presentation on class topics.
- 6.G.1 Produce affirmative and negative statements and questions with past perfect and past perfect progressive verbs.
- 6.G.2 Produce the passive voice in complete sentences with simple past, past progressive, simple present, and present progressive verbs.
- 6.G.3 Identify gerunds and infinitives in sentences.
- 6.G.4 Identify adjective clauses.
Students will receive regular homework assignments to reinforce skills learned in class. Students must complete homework on or before the date it is due. Homework is included in the final course grade.
It is the student’s responsibility to arrange with each instructor to make up work he/she might have missed. It may be necessary for the student to receive tutoring for additional help from an instructor with make-up work. TLC’s Make-up Policy may be found in Student Resources at www.thelanguagecompany.com/index.php?student-resources.
Cheating and plagiarism are strictly prohibited. TLC’s Academic Integrity Policy may be found in Student Resources atwww.thelanguagecompany.com/index.php?student-resources.
TLC considers every class to be important for a student’s academic progress. TLC’s Attendance Policy may be found inStudent Resources at www.thelanguagecompany.com/index.php?student-resources.
To pass a level, students must achieve a 2.0 GPA or greater and meet the requirements of the attendance policy. Failure to do so will result in the student repeating the level.
Reading 1 Quiz
Reading 2 Quiz
In class Essay